So you’re going to Las Vegas, Sin City, Palace of Dreams where everything is possible, what do you after you have finished doing air pumps…
…make a rational list of course, very wise 😎 (That is the closest I can get to a smiley with glasses, Apple have been great at providing smilies of different race, sex and sexuality but can I find a smiley looking studious and wearing glasses…of course not.
Rule #1 REMEMBER YOU ARE IN A DESERT (so it doesn’t feel like it and all the hotels are air conditioned but you can’t control the climate). Sunstroke is just as bad as a hangover.
- Take a big sun hat (or buy one…did I mention the shops 😍)
- Take sunglasses (see comment above)
- Take (and use!) sun cream….yes I sound like my mum (red burn lines are not attractive)
- Take water. If you are out at a cafe you can ask for free tap water but at lots of places it is just as expensive as beer. So fill your hotel ice bucket up and let it melt to fill your water bottles the next day. (If you drink hotel tap water you will not have a Sex In The City film Charlotte moment)
Ruke #2 TAKE LOADZA MONEIES!!! You will spend money, lots of it and it will be completely worth it (how many times are you going to be in Vegas?)
5. Rough budget of ours for 7 days
- Cirque du Soliel and other shows: $100 pp
- Helicopter trip: $400
- Transport: $10 a trip (monorails 24 hour pass is $12 and taxi from airport to Strip is $30)
- Baseball tickets: $15
- Exhibitions: $25-35 each (you can get a deal of 3 for $58)
- Food and drink: $20 a meal (get your basics from a local shop)
- Shopping and gifts: $$$$$$$ (that’s down to you, but if you want standard cheesy stuff go to a street store rather than getting it from the hotel for twice the price)
Total spend for 7 days: 4 shows, helicopter ride, exhibitions, food and drink, booze, transport and shopping $1,500/ £1,000
Worth every penny.
Rule #3 USE YOUR ROOM SAFE AND SLIPT YOUR CASH (each room should have a free wall safe, only take out what you need for the day and don’t keep it all in one place in case you loose your hand/hold luggage, purse/handbag or are just drunk.
6. Take a handbag with a zip top (or if you are like my friend and can totally pull it off- a bum bag!) Just because there is loads of money here doesn’t mean there isn’t poverty. If you have a bag with an open top and your valuables visible you are just being silly. Deep bags are great because everything falls to the bottom and someone needs to get past the zip and then put their whole arm in your bag without you noticing them.
Rule #4 TIP!!!! Staff don’t get paid service charge so you usually leave 20% of your bill even if you’ve just had tea and toast. With taxis just round up the total and if you’re at a bar don’t ask for change unless it’s more than $2! We took our bags up to our rooms instead of using the hotel service as we had no idea how much or how to tip!
7. Take a phone with a camera and calculator (if your phone doesn’t have this WHAT ARE YOU USING?!) Makes tipping, converting between £ and $ and divvying up the bill easy.
Rule #5 PRIORITISE (there are a million and one things to see and limited time)
8. Get a guide book, most hotels have a free one in their lobby with a map of the Strip and most of the things you can see and do. Pick your top bucket list things and work out a rough plan for the week (we thought we could walk the Strip in a day) OH NO YOU CAN’T
9. Take a camera wherever you go…and attach it to yourself as you will probably never have cause to put it away.
ABOVE ALL: ENJOY IT & GO WITH FRIENDS. Relatively responsible friends who will stop you reenacting the hangover, getting married, going bankrupt or worse. Love every second.
10. Have a place you all meet if you get lost and make sure your phones work out there so you can communicate (remember you can get lost in your own hotel)